Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Day in the Life...

Today was what I would term a near perfect day. We got up, but didn't have to be out until 9:30 so we could get breakfast, have our devotions and get our morning chores done without looking at the clock much. Gabe and Elly finished early and were playing nicely in the front room, some combination of trucks/tractors and little animals. Isaiah took a little longer but had time to head outside to check on his bugs and feed his spider.

We headed off to swim lessons. Got there early enough to chat with Joya for a few minutes. Isaiah decided to read Gabe his books for the library summer reading club (Go Isaiah!) and Elly was only too happy to play with Baby Braelyn. Then the two older kids headed off to their classes where they 'did their best' and 'paid focused attention' (my admonition each day). Gabe and I reread his books and then played little tractors, The Itsy, Bitsy Spider and chatted.

We headed home where again, we could really just not have to deal with the clock. Elly and Gabe played playdough (making pies with duplo blocks) while Isaiah tried out a new website recommended by Aunt Sam (questforcompassion.org) with four countries to fly to and learn about through a "mission"...all this connected to their real missions that provide kids with basic needs (including Jesus, which Isaiah says is the fourth and most important basic need).

We had a little lunch somewhere in that. I got some phone calling and emailing done. The kids all headed up for a little quiet time and I read them enough books to "get their library prizes tomorrow". Then the friends popped over for a movie and a romp in the baby pool and sprinkler. I spent some time outside watching and some time inside working at the kitchen table so I could watch. And then a delightful thing happened....Gabe fell asleep 2 minutes in Bob the Builder. Isaiah asked to play with a buddy (but stay on the street) and Elly and Katie headed down to the basement to set up camp. I was a free bird for a little while and in the middle of the day too. That gave me time to contemplate the $950 AC repair Kev said the mechanic thought we needed on the truck. We very quickly and in total agreement decided that we would try a sealant and 3 cans of coolant for $24 instead. And God knows whether that will work or not and I can say, I'm not stressing about it. What will be, will be another day. This one is good and I'm not borrowing any trouble. It also helped that I had that to think about while I was cleaning bathrooms and folding laundry...it goes by fast that way.

Kevin came home to our dinner of beans and ham, cornbread and applesauce. (Yes they at the main dish but the other two dishes were the incentive.) Everyone ate without too much commotion, took turns talking and cleaned up without much reminding. We headed out to the tramp for a little game of "Mummy, Mummy Come Alive" and I puttered in the garden and flower beds while the kids finished playing.

We came in and did the quick bed routine since the stories and baths (via sprinkler) had been taken and they all opted for 1 room for the night with a few books to attend to before they sleep. Here I am typing this blog and I'm headed up to start another great Lamplighter book for myself.

No the day was not perfect. I read that Mr. Obama has decided he can just grant federal employees' same sex partners benefits which makes me wonder how the man figures he can just get around DOMA. But hey, I'm praying and letting it go...and writing him tomorrow. And Kev isn't here tonight, but he's at Bible Study and I'm glad he has that men's group so I can be happy to have an evening to putter.

That's it, my near perfect day. Thanks, Lord for it. I know not to expect a lot of these, but I'll treasure this one...and remember it everytime I read my blog. Thanks for that too. It gives little glimpses of life.

No comments: