Friday, June 12, 2009

Isaiah's Latest Musings


I was sitting here thinking of all the funny things recently around here. It's never too long between laughs. I thought of three different great "processing" moments for Isaiah. They are a comfort and a blessing--to see the conviction of the Holy Spirit alive and well.

So, probably a month ago, Isaiah had invited one of the new neighbor girls to play in our backyard. This was unusual since he's usually so focused on boys. What was even more unusual for Isaiah, and I believe evidence of the Holy Spirit at work, was the fact that he noticed that she was sad and asked her about it. She told him that she was sad because "her Grandpa was in a box". After a little more discussion, Isaiah figured out that her Grandpa had passed away and was cremated and in a "box". So he was trying to comfort her and said, "Did he believe in Jesus?" "Yes," she said. "Well, he's in heaven, not in that box!" he told her. She still looked sad. "Are you a Christian?" he asked. "Yes, well, no, I'm nothing, "was her reply. This was VERY disturbing to him.

I found Isaiah outside with his buddy Connor planning and plotting and spying on this little girl later. I asked them what they were doing and got the story above. And Isaiah says, "We are waiting for her to come out of her yard and we're going to take her my Bible and show her how to be a Christian." (That AWANA training is coming in handy.) We did have a little discussion about being friends with her first and then being ready to give an answer if she asked about it rather than hit her over the head with the Bible. :) I think I would call that "zealous".


Second scenario was a week or so ago at the park. Isaiah came up and ate an ant right in front of me and some friends. I was so proud that I didn't freak out--hoping that less attention would make this new bug eating thing a non-repeat event. Later, I asked him why he thought he would like to eat bugs. "Well," he said, "I want to be a missionary in Africa someday and I want to help with the animals there too. I know they have to eat bugs over there so I figured I better try them out. They aren't so bad." I decided not to tell him about the chocolate covered insects over in the Orient!

And last came an "ah ha" moment in the car the other day. We have been studying Greeks and with that, we've read some tamed down Greek myths which Isaiah found interesting. But he wasn't saying much about them. That day we were listening to KLOVE in the car and the song "God of This City" started. The part of the song Isaiah was singing was "There is none like our God. There is none like You, Lord." And he pipes up, "There IS no God like our God! Those Greeks had so many gods, but they weren't like Ours. They were more like people. Our God was never created, but if He wanted to, he could create other gods...but He won't, because He's the only One." I just about bawled right then and there, so thankful that this belief is rock solid for him. I told him, "You are very wise, Isaiah. Many people don't understand that idea at all and they waste their lives looking to all those other gods who will never save them."

I've typed these up, because I'm sure there will be many hard days when it will seem like our parenting and discipleship is not getting through. But God does amazing things in His time, not in mine.

No comments: